Many times people reinforce their house with different strategies of security, but forget one main entrance: their garage. This doorway, in particular, is known for being left open and unlocked. Your garage can reveal many of your valuables to unwanted guests, as well provide a clear entrance into your home. Protect your family and protect your home, starting with your garage door. These tips will provide easy and cheap ways to protect your garage from intruders.
- Don’t leave the garage door remote in your vehicle. If a thief has access to break into your car, then they have direct access to your house. Most people keep their garage door opener in the same place, and it can be seen through the windows of the car. This makes it an easy way for an intruder to enter your house. If you ever discover your garage door remote has been lost, make sure you change the programmed code in order to disable the remote.
- Investing in a keychain remote garage door opener is a great idea. This will keep you from leaving the garage opener on a clip in your car, and also will make sure it is always in a safe place.
- Secure your garage door emergency release. This can be easily done with some zip ties on your emergency release cord and still can allow it to retain its intended function.
- Keep your garage door locked. Putting a deadbolt on the door between your house and garage is the best way to keep your home safe.
- Make sure the connecting door is sturdy, made out of solid core wood or reinforced steel. This will prevent an intruder from invading by kicking it down. It’s also a good idea to use a metal lock reinforcer on this door. It will prevent the door from splitting if a burglar was attempting to use force to enter. In order to make the door more secure, replace the screws in the hinges of the door. The screws that come standard on most doors are 3/4in. By replacing these screws with 3 in screws will make the door much sturdier.
- Don’t leave your garage door open, even if you have trusting neighbors. The garage door should be shut at all times, even if you are home. This about as if it is like leaving your door wide open.
- Install a wide-angle peephole in the door between your house and your garage. This way if you hear a strange noise, you have access to look into the space before opening the door to find out.
- Frost or cover your garage windows. Thieves will have no access to peer into your windows to see if a vehicle is present in the garage. Also, ensure that the windows are always locked in the garage.
- Don’t neglect maintenance on the mechanical parts of your roll up garage door. Any faulty parts could lead to an easy break in.
- Install motion detector lights in front of the garage door. This will keep any intruders from coming to0 close to the garage door undetected.
- When you go away on vacation, unplug the garage door opener. If you don’t have an opener, padlock the latch or disable the door by putting a bolt through one of the holes on the garage door track. This easy trick will prevent anyone from opening the garage door while you are gone.
These easy tricks will protect the main entrance to your home from intruders. The garage is one of the most important places to protect because it provides a doorway into your home. By reinforcing the security of your garage, you can have the security of a safe home.